Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.

why does my gas wall heater keep going off

why does my gas wall heater keep going off?
You need to check the thermostat, it sounds like the wires might be loose. When you bang on it makes a circuit and comes back on. You need to give the wires a check with a screw driver. Let me know...Craig
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Craig, that is not the problem. The thermostat has been checked in the past (and I just rechecked), and determined not to be the problem. Give it another try. Possible part replacement necessary many, if so which one?
There is a 'high temp limit' in the gas valve circuit that could cause this and the gas valve itself could cause the same thing. The only way I can pin it to a component is with a meter and it in the failed state before you bang on it. Have you checked all the wires going from the gas valve to the circuit feeding it? Also, check the thermocouple and make sure it's tight in the side of the main gas valve and if it has wires, check them too. You are going to have to wait until it stops again and don't bang it. That's when you find it, wiggle things and try to isolate....Craig