MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
24031813

Our new Bosch dishwasher model number,shx45po4uc, is not draining

Customer Question

Our new Bosch dishwasher model number,shx45po4uc, is not draining the rinse water. We now have standing water in the cavity. Should we unplug to reset the machine?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 7 years ago.

Is this a brand new install or have you been using it?

Has anything broken in it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply. This is a new install. My husband just told me that a wine glass broke in the cavity. He fished out all the glass...

Remove the lower rack and then remove both peices of the filter. Remove as much water as you can. Becarefull incase there is still glass in there. If you do not have a wet/dry vac a turkey baster and a bowl work well. In the bottom of the sump area (below the filters) remove the #20-torx screw and make sure there is no glass in the impellor of the drain pump. This is the likely area of trouble. If nothing is found here check where the drain hose enters the house drain. If it goes into the disposall or a pipe check this area for blockages. Post me back to let me know what is found.

Thank you...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We're working the problem. We'll get back to you shortly. Thank you for the reply. More in about 30 mins...
talk with you then.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The drain pump turned freely. It rotated both ways - does that indicate it is broken?

We also checked the drain hose. It goes into the top of an open drain pipe under the sink (it does not go into the disposal). It looks clear - no clog in the part of the hose. The sink drain also goes into the same drain pipe. The sink drain works fine. If there is a clog in the hose, then it appears that it is in the part of the hose under or behind the machine.

Was there any thing in the filter area by the drain pump?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NO. Just to recap, on Thanksgiving, a wine glass broke in the washer. I thought that I fished out all of the broken glass from both parts of the filter.

Today, I just pulled both filters and the drain pump housing. I did not find any obstructions.
If you set it to rinse and hold cycle will it finish the cycle and empty?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This particular model does not have a hold and rinse function, so we just set it for a short wash. We will let you know what happens in about 30 mins. (Even a short wash on this Bosch takes awhile).
No problem
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We're good! Thanks for the help...
No problem. Have a good weekend and let me know if there is any thing else I can do.