MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

Went to turn the light off of my GE Microwave and heard a popping

Customer Question

Went to turn the light off of my GE Microwave and heard a popping sound. After that the exhaust fan starting blowing and would not turn off. Display will not allow me to turn the fan off and the Microwave will not work
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 6 years ago.
Were you cooking on the stove?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No...not at the time. Microwave is installed directly over stove which is also a GE appliance

What were you cooking in the micro and for how long?

When it made the popping noise did you see sparks inside the unit?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Was not cooking anythin in the Microwave at the time. Just went to shut the nightlight off and heard a popping sound. Like a electrical popping sound . Then the fan turned on , will go from high to medium speed and boost, but will not turn off. Removed the burned out light bulbs but ahev not replaced them with anything yet
Can you get me the model # XXXXX inside the door of the unit, please?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Only number on insde of the door are ...... DE68-01544C
Unplug the unit and remove the screws to remove the vent grill. Remove the screw above the control board. Push the board up and you can lean the control out and inspect the board for burns. The way it sounds the board has shorted. Do not reach in behind the control board area. The capacitor can hold a charge of 4000 volts and is dangerous. The model # XXXXX not come up. If the model tag has been removed it will be unlikely we can get the correct part to repair it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK...found the correct model number and it is ....JVM1851SH06 and pulled the board off and shows no signs of being burne anywhere
If you put the control board back up and plug it back in does it stat the fan again?
Customer: replied 6 years ago. does all of the same stuff . Fan will not trun off and Microwave control will program, but Microwave will not start

It will be the board. Leave the unit unplugged until it is repaired. With the unit unplugged remove the screws around the filter holder on the bottom. Inspect all the wiring and the light sockets. If they shorted down this will be what blew the board. Other wise it will be just the board. Compare the age and cost of this repair to see if it may be better to replace the unit. They start around $300.

Click here for parts #14 on the look up