MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
24031813

Why does a burner burn for a while and all of a sudden it blows

Why does a burner burn for a while and all of a sudden it blows out and
all it does is blow air
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 4 years ago.
Are we talking about the oven or the top burners?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
top burner
What burner? front left/ right rear? is it on simmer when it goes out? Do you live close to see level or are you in the mountians?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its the front right burner.We are at sea level.This stove is approx5-6tyears old

and burned very good until recently.

Is it on simmer when it goes out?

When it does light on full is the flame coming out even or is it jumping or uneven?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The burner goes out at full flame it seems to do it at full mostly.also

prior to this problem the burner never seemed to come on at fuill

flame it started getting smaller as we used it. Hope im not confusing

you.

We are doing ok. When it goes out does it spill out gas?

Does it relight if you turn the valve off and then back on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it does.The burner is hard to light even when its first lighten.

Was anything spilled over this burner? If you remove the burner cap can you see the hole in the brass peice at the bottom? Does the flame grow smaller as it is used or before it goes out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes something was spilled on it.I cleaned it a much as I could.Now it looks like

a little baked on ,on the outside.I thought that it may need a new

burner

The little brass peice below is where the gas comes out. It has to be clean. It should be removable and cleaned with hot water and an air compresser. If you use something to poke through it make sure it will not enlarge the hole. Also make sure the burn and the electrode tip is clean of the spill. Clean up on this should get you back working without buying any parts. Unplug and turn off the gas to the unit when you take it apart. If you unscrew all the burners there will be two spring clips located between the top and valve panel. This will let you lift the top and have better access. Do not try to lift the top until all the burner screws are out.

Click here for photos and parts

Thank you and let me know how it turns out.

MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology