Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation
25067054

Our Whirlpool dishwasher from 2003, a quiet partner III, will

Our Whirlpool dishwasher from 2003, a quiet partner III, will not drain. It sounds like the drain pump is trying to work (it hums very quietly) but the water does not drain. My guess is that the drain tube is clogged or the motor for the drain pump is dead. I can not figure out how to get the filter screen out of the bottom to try to flush the tube. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
Hi ya allen,

Check the drain air gap anytime your dishwasher isn't draining
well. Some state or local plumbing codes require the addition of a
drain air gap between a built-in dishwasher and the home drain
system. If a drain is clogged, the drain air gap protects your
dishwasher from water backing up into it.

The drain air gap is usually located on top of the sink or
counter top near the dishwasher. To order a drain air gap contact
your local dealer, or in the U.S.A., call the Customer Interaction
Center and ask for Part Number 300096.
NOTE: The drain air gap is an external plumbing device that is
not part of your dishwasher. The warranty provided with your
dishwasher does not cover service costs directly associated with
the cleaning or repair of the external drain air gap.

Clean the drain air gap periodically to ensure proper drainage of
your dishwasher. Follow the cleaning instructions provided by the
manufacturer. With most types, you lift off the chrome cover.
Unscrew the plastic cap. Then check for any soil buildup. Clean if
necessary.

Your User manual

Edited by Neilwill on 11/29/2009 at 12:22 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We do not have a drain air gap. I just need to know how to get the drain filter/cover off of the base of the interior of the dishwasher.
Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
Here is what you need to know,
This dishwasher does have a separate drain pump and if it's not draining then most likely the pump is bad, blocked or has a loose connection.

The pump receives voltage from the control to run and it's possible the control is the problem but I suggest you check the pump first.

If you have access to a volt/ohm meter and are comfortable using it then you can remove the lower access panel to access the drain pump. See the 1st image for a picture of this. The drain pump has two brown wires on it. Remove the wires and check continuity across the drain pump terminals.

Voltage to the pump can be checked in a drain cycle but voltage must be checked with the pump hooked up to the brown wires to get a good reading.

With the access panel removed you can listen to the pump in drain and see if it hums or vibrates. If the pump is humming but not draining then the pump is bad. If the pump is completely dead then the problem can be with the voltage from the control.

1st image

2nd image

Edited by Neilwill on 11/29/2009 at 12:28 AM EST
Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
You said, the pump is humming but not draining then the pump is bad.
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 years experience appliance repair and installation