Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

Whats wrong with a Kenmore free standing range oven that has

What's wrong with a Kenmore free standing range oven that has started burning things after 20 years of trouble free performance?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.
I really need a model number to give you SPECIFICS on your exact machine, but in GENERAL, if you are talking about the OVEN burning things when set on a temp that USED to work fine, it is a temp control problem which could be a temp sensor / thermostat. IF the oven has an electronic control, it could be that but if you dont have an electronic control, just knobs then its a temp sensor/thermostat issue. Please let me know if you need further information.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model Number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like a failed thermostat. The part number WAS # XXXXX but has been discontinued by the manufacturer and all subsitute part numbers were as well . So if you set your oven for , lets say 350, and using an oven thermometer can verify that the temp is WAY over 350, causing the burn, you would need that thermostat and since it is NLA, you cannot repair the oven. Im sorry. If the temp is just a LITTLE over your target temp, many of these thermostats were adjustable TO A POINT, by removing the knob and loosening the set screw you see there, turning it towards the offset you need. That MAY help you if temps are not drastically different than your target. Please let me know if need further information.