Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

Have a kenmore elite M.110-42936-200...Had to replace the MCU

Customer Question

Have a kenmore elite M.110-42936-200...Had to replace the MCU Which was discovered after replacing the CCU as told by techs at he time upon further study I found that the door seal was was compromised and allowed water to the exposed MCU.

Having made all these adjustments and diagnosing all other electonic components...From the touch pad there is no respons for the other cycles other than(delicate) of the 8. While the unit does complete this wash cycle I do not see the dispenser system operating mechanicaly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello!
Are you able to enter the machine into a dignostic cycle? The instructions to do this are found on the tech sheet you have likely already seen since you replaced the MCU.Its located on the lower, side of the cabinet in an envelope or plastic bag.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I failed to mention that before... We were able to do the dia. test before we replaced the MCU which after we can not can not get it intwo the test mode...again it washes only in the one cycle afore mentioned.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
ThanksCustomer
What was the reason for replacing the MCU, other than it coming in contact with water? Were there error codes displayed during diagnostic testing with the OLD MCU? You also mentioned that you replaced the CCU. What was the reason for this ? Finally, do you have the OLD MCU and CCU?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The old MCU was visible corrupted and has been discarde like wise the CCU has been discarded... the last thing that we check was the interferenc filter what is perculiar after the input L& N the out put jacks that goes directly to the CCU only one is postive should that be?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
t he displayed was F11...What is the status of this session so far are on whole?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
The output of that filter has no polarity, because it is AC. Its output should measure 120VAC. You WILL only have power on the "L" because that is the power supply "HOT" line. The other is a "neutral" return, and simply completes the circuit. Positive and negative are not relevant here. It is NOT likely to be causing any of the problems you are having here. You stated that you are able to enter into and complete a "delicate" cycle in the machine, but no other, so if you are SURE that it is actually completing this cycle, then you probably have a failed interface, part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNcosting $135.83 if purchased from Sears, ASSUMING that you have replaced both the MCU and CCU with GOOD replacement parts and connected them correctly. This is taking into consideration ALL that you have told me up to this point. It is VERY unlikely that all of these parts NEEDED to be replaced at the same time, but since youve already done it and are still having problems, this is the only possible diagnosis based on what you have said youve already done.Please let me know if you need further information.
Thanks!

Edited by Eric on 11/28/2009 at 10:20 PM EST
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is this interface part and what does it do) #8181699
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
The interface is where all of your buttons and controls are. It is how you as the user interface with the machine and tell it what programs (cycles) you want it to run. However, as I was posting my answer, I saw that you posted about the original "F11" error, which is a communications error between the two control boards (CCU and MCU). I must stress, since you replaced both of those, make sure you have connected them correctly and used parts from a reliable source, as F11 is usually cured by replacing one or the other of those. Unfortunately there has NEVER been a reliable way to tell WHICH board caused the F11 error, but in my experience, it is more likely the CCU then the MCU, but can be caused by ANY failed communication between boards in the machine, even the interface.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That was also replaced and it did not correct the issue and Iwas allowed to return that part ...

Its proably time to punt...Its proably a solvable issuse but proably need a more of a hand on application.

For service rendered ,19.00 has been charged to said credit card...to end the matter do I just touch the accept to concluded the matter.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
You have already accepted and I thank you very much! It has been my pleasure helping you today and to answer you question, yes the matter can at this point be closed with no further interaction from you if you have no more questions.
Thanks again and have a great weekend!