Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

I have a maytag washer model# 382. Recently it started making

I have a maytag washer model# XXXXX
Recently it started making a noise (high pitched whine) and then it stopped spinning. I checked the drum while the clothes were still in it and could maually spin it. I started it back up and it spun for a minute then made teh sound and stopped again.
I emptied the washer, disconnected electrical and water, turned it onto it's side and turned the bottom pulley. it spun no problem as well as the trmsmission and drum, but once it's in it's upright position it won't spin.
any ideas
Hello !
It sounds like you have classic symptoms of a failing mounting hub and/or spin bearing for the spin basket. In this case, you you will need to overhaul the mounting stem seal and bearing assemblies. This is a VERY big job and requires lots of space, patience, tools and mechanical aptitude, but can be done by a properly motivated layperson. It requires removal of the upper portion of the cabinet, the basket itself, the tub, then r/r all parts in the stem seal /bearing kits. If you want to do this job the RIGHT way, replacing just a few of the parts from these kits is not advised, rather take the time to do the complete overhaul. If you have ruled out the belt as the source of the noise, this overhaul is really your only other repair option.Please let me know if you need further information.
Thanks!