Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

Water leaking from GE profile refrigerators freezer side.

Water leaking from GE profile refrigerator's freezer side.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am here to assist you. First may I please have the model number of your fridge to assist you even better.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model no. TFH27PRSM BB.
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Okay, do me a favor. Open the freezer door and take out the bottom bin. Look at the bottom of the freezer, where the bin was, and tell m e if you see any icebuildup.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, there is ice build up.
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Okay, what you have is a clogged drain for the evaporator. What happens is with a clogged drain everytime the fridge goes in the defrost mode, the water can't go down the drain so it goes out the front. This happens about 3 to 4 times a day. Now if you look in the back of the freezer, behind the bin there is a little area below the evaporator. On the left side of this area you will see the drain. What you need to do is to take a putty knife and scrape off the bottom of the freezer. Then take some nice warm water in a cup or a turkey baster and start pouring it down the drain to unclog it. It may take a while but keep the hot water goign until you see the water goes through the drain. Hope this helps and let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How does the unit get rid of the water that goes down the drain?

I got rid of the ice build up so now we will see. As long as the water rolls into the drain and not just stand there and turn to ice, then we are good.

Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
As the water goes down the drain it goes into a non removable pan. Then while the compressor is running the condensedr fan is blowing the hot air from the condenser coils over the water to cause it to evaporate. Did you clear out the drain also?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. The drain seems to be cleared. I was afraid of pouring too much water down the drain. Thank you. Besides slicing the top of my finger while doing this, it was an excellent experience. So yes I have some blood down the drain also.
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
LOL, sorry I should have warned you. I usually slice my finger when I work around the evaporator also. As long as the water goes down the drain you don't need to add any more. Excellent job by the way.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I leave feedback?
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX need to do is to hit the green accept if you are satisfied with the outcome and then you will get a the feedback option.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.