MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
24031813

I have a Maytag model MCD2257HEQ with electronic controls in

Customer Question

I have a Maytag model MCD2257HEQ with electronic controls in the refrigerator section. The freezer is operating ok. At setting 5, the freezer was 29 degrees. At setting 7 (max), the refrigerator section is only 52 degrees. What could be the problem? Thank you, Steve
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 7 years ago.
Do you see frost on the back wall of the freezer?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is not frost on the back of the freezer section even at the bottom.
Do you hear the fans running?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the fan located on the bottom left of the refrigerator section behind plastic shielding? If it is, there is no flow from the holes.
It should be located about midway up the back of the freezer. There should also be a fan on the bottom of the unit. You will have to remove the back panel. You can also see if the compressor is running. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Both fans are running.
Do you knowif the compressor is running?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is because the freezer section is very cold.
Sorry, I thought you said both side were warming up. The bump out in the middle of the freezer there are two little vents on top. Do you feel air coming out of them? If not there is a defrost problem. You will need to remove the back of the freezer and check the coils. Let me know if it is fully frosted or just at the top.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is air coming from the vents.
Do you feel air coming from the vent in the upper left hand corner of the fresh food section?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No i do not.

Remove the cover from the vent and see if the damper door is open. Below is a picture that will help...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think we found the problem. We had too much stuff blocking the vent. Once the top shelf was cleaned up, the temp is now 46 degrees and dropping.
Good deal. Keep an eye on it and post me back tomorrow morning and let me know it is back down to temp. Try to keep the fresh food door closed for about 30-45 minutes to get the f/f down to temp.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your patience.

Steve
No problem. Have a good t-day...