The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Any way to lower the temperature setting on my Magic Chef Beverage

Customer Question

Any way to lower the temperature setting on my Magic Chef Beverage cooler below 39 degrees? It's too warm for soda
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
What is the model number of your unit, please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Magic Chef # XXXXX 5.8 Cu Ft Wine/Beverage Cooler

Ok one moment please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will accept answer if you solve my problem

I am sorry, but 39* is the lowest temp that this unit will go to.

From th eusers manual "

MCBC58DST: Beverage Cooler

• The temperature range of the beverage cooler is for 39°F ~

54°F (4°C ~ 12°C). +/- 5°F.

• The display indicates the average temperature of the

appliance at the moment."

Unfortunatly I can not tell you how to make this unit do something it was not designed to do.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just checked and it the temperature is 10 degrees high.....

So you are saying that the unit is displaying 39* but actually is 49*?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Ok one moment please.
Ok is there a build up of ice or frost inside towards the rear of the unit?

Edited by The Home Smithy on 11/26/2009 at 4:14 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no

Well that was my last shot at determining the problem with your unit without hands on diagnostics. Unfortunatly I am out of possible easy fixes for this problem. You will need to have a service tech come and have a look at the system.

Most likely you have a low refrigerant situation or at the worst the controller card has gone bad. These are the only other possibilities that are left.

The refrigerant can only be done by a licensed tech due to EPA regs. The main control card is an expensive part and I can not recommend that you change it without first doing the testing to determine if your refrigerant is low or not.

Sorry but the best suggestion I can make at this point is to call for a service tech.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This answer provided nothing I couldn't get from the manual - I know there are ways to adjust the thermostat other than calling a service technician.