How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask built1950 Your Own Question
built1950, Handyman
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 210
Experience:  Appliance Installer
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
built1950 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Kenmore microwave/hood 401.80092 -- Someone meant to run

Customer Question

Kenmore microwave/hood 401.80092 --
Someone meant to run kitchen timer, but ran cook instead for half an hour. Unit is now dead; no display, light, fan, anything.
Checked circuit breaker, etc., verified power to circuit.
Best guess is a TCO fuse blew. How can we access and test these fuses?
Hume Vance
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  built1950 replied 6 years ago.
No TCO but it does have a fuse. You'll have to remove the jacket and follow the electric cord into the unit. The fuse is at the end of it or on the circuit board next to that.
Be aware, microwaves have a high voltage capacitor that can kill you so don't touch anything else.
If the fuse is Ok then you're probably looking at a fried magnetron.
Parts are available here:

Paste to browser and you will get the diagram and all parts.

Not In Diagram
1.00L x 1.00W x 1.00H
In stock
Quantity: Add to cart

#18 on diagram
9.20L x 8.60W x 8.00H
In stock
Quantity: Add to cart

God Bless
built1950 and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your reply, which I accepted. Follow-up--if the magnetron was blown, would that explain the display, fan and light not working? Or are you saying BOTH the fuse and magnetron could be blown? -Happy Thanksgiving-
Expert:  built1950 replied 6 years ago.
Your additional info would point to the fuse. That's a good thing. It's easier and safer to replace and cheap too. Don't buy anything till you've checked the fuse.

God Bless and happy thanksgiving.

Related Appliance Questions