MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

I have a Maytag Neptune gas dryer. It has suddenly stopped

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Neptune gas dryer. It has suddenly stopped heating. What can I do before I have to call a repairman?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 6 years ago.

Does it heat at the begining of a cycle if the unit has set for a wial? Do you know if it was taking longer than normal to dry the clothes before this happend?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It seemed to have been working fine. I had just finished drying a load of towels. We pulled it out and checked the exhaust vent for a clog. It was clear. We started it back up and it seemed to be producing heat. After checking it though it wouldn't heat anymore.
Do you hear the gas valve click at all?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not exactly sure. Every so often you can hear a whirring sound that is different. Our guess is that is the dryer calling for gas but not igniting??
Is the whirring noise come just after you hear a click?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

You are going to have a bad coil on the valve. It is the one with 3-wires going to it. Use part#279834 call your local parts store they should have it in stock. Replace both of them in the kit.

Parts and photo click here

Unplug the unit and remove the screws that hold the door hinge and the two on the other side. lift the door off. With your thumbs on the inside where the door was twist out and remove the front panel. Two screws on top of the valve and remove the coil clamp. Replace the coils and you are good.

Thank you...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much! Your diagnosis was right on and your directions were easy to follow. It's working great now! Thanks.
Thank you. Have a good t-day...