built1950
built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer
19717507

I Have a Kenmore Elite Range Hood, Model # 233.55012000. The

I Have a Kenmore Elite Range Hood, Model # XXXXX The problem is that the fan turns on without being activated. The stove was being used early-on but even after the stove has cooled down the fan turns on and fan button 3 flashes on and off. I called Sears Repair but I only received the automated response which said the earliest a Sears Technician can come is Tuesday, Dec. 1st. Question: Is ther something I can do in the interim? I'm a bit concern about my situation being a fire hazard. Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
Your unit has an electronic touch pad control panel and it sounds like it now has a fault in it. If you wish to turn it off you'll have to turn off the circuit breaker for it. You write " I'm a bit concern about my situation being a fire hazard", If that is because it runs continuously, that should not be cause for alarm. The hood designers test these hoods running them for thousands of hours at a time to certify them as meeting state required safety standards.
So when you go to sleep just flip the associated breaker and flip it back on tomorrow and let it run. You'll be fine till the service tech gets there.

God Bless