MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

My KitchenAid downdraft vent system is stuck about 1 above

My KitchenAid downdraft vent system is stuck about 1" above the cook-top - Model # XXXXX The fan runs and the button switch will not move it up or down. There is no way to turn the fan off so I turned the circuit off at the panel board. The system was installed in a new home which is 3.5 years old.

Any ideas on how to fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 6 years ago.

If the blower is running without being all the way up I would check that the motor/gear box has stripped. First make sure your filters are all the way in and locked. They have switches behind them. Remove screws securing the blower and the venting. This will give you access to the lift motor. If the gears have slip it will hit the blower switch. Check that the actuator has not slipped. Removing the whole unit is the best and easiest way to replace the lift motor.

Click here for parts

Thank you. Let me know what you find.