built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer

my dryer is around 4 years old. The clothes are damp when it

Customer Question

my dryer is around 4 years old. The clothes are damp when it comes out of the dryer. what do you think could be the problem ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  built1950 replied 6 years ago.
Most of the time the problem lies in a partially clogged exhaust. Pull the dryer out, disconnect the vent and clean it. Clean the vent terminal too (where it exits). If that is not sufficient you'll have to remove the rear panel and clean the vent piping in the dryer.

God Bless
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Built1950 for your answer. It worked partly. It seems that the draft from the wind outside the vent is blowing into the dryer once it stops and because of the difference in the dryer temperature and the draft, condensation occurs which leaves the clothes damp. Is there any way to fix this, like a valve etc or do you think i am incorrctly diagnosing the problem.

Expert:  built1950 replied 6 years ago.
You could very well be on it. The answer for this is to replace the vent terminal with a better one. It should act like a one way valve, only allowing the air to flow outward.

God Bless
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i replaced the vent terminal but the clothes still do not dry as expected. they do dry better than earlier. any tips ?

Expert:  built1950 replied 6 years ago.
Perhaps, you didn't mention whether or not you took the time to remove the back panel of the dryer off. Lots of times there is accumulated lint in the passages inside the dryer causing poor air flow.

I was on a service call and found this problem...even after I suggested the customer check the venting/dryer air ducts/lint filter before we look at the dryer. "Everything is good" is what they told me..... guess again.....this is what I found.....

Not much air flow through that grill. Looks to be approx 1/2 plugged :-(

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will do and update you