Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore Elite HE3t washer that is 4 years old. I

I have a Kenmore Elite HE3t washer that is 4 years old. I have been experiencing an F-11 error for the past 3 months that occurs at different times throughout the cycle. A technician replaced the computer board this week and the error occured again ysterday. The cost of the repair was $400 and am worried what the cost of the next "fix" may be. Should I buy a new washer or attempt to fix the problem again?

Steve
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
F/11

Serial Communication Error

Communication between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and the Motor Control Unit (MCU) cannot be sent correctly.

• Check Wire Harness connectors to the MCU, the motor, and Central Control Unit (CCU)
  • Check the Drive system for any worn or failed components
  • Check MCU
  • Check CCU
  • Check Motor
  • Check Wire Harness
check all the connections on the board,door switch and motor, you may have a loose conection acording to the code. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Motor was inspected and found to be top working order. Wires are not worn and harness was not replaced.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I'll try to get back to you tomorrow, having computer problems, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well I had a problem like this on one of these machines and had a heck of a time with it also. eventually it was discovered there was a break in one of the wiring harneses and they had to call sears to come out because sears wont give us the info on their machines (they might lose service calls) thats probably what going on with yours. I would get rid of that machine if it were mine but you may want to fix it if you like it. wish i had better news. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OUCH. I appreciate your honesty and have contacted the service company who came out last week. Waiting for a quote before I add more $ to this machine. Appears this problem is an issue throughout the industry, as well as for Sears. They will could not/will not provide an answer when I contacted them as well. Disappointing when the consumer pays over $800 on an appliance and it breaks in 4 years.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yeah tell me about it, I'm on the service end of the ones out of warranty! these things are truly a nightmare. I'm sorry for all your trouble, well wishes and happy holidays, thanks Bryan