MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

I have a Maytag RS-1 Gas Range. It recently started acting

Customer Question

I have a Maytag RS-1 Gas Range. It recently started acting up. Sometimes when you try to bake the igniter will glow but no gas will flow. I'm assuming that since the ignitor glows that the thermostat is ok. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 6 years ago.

Yes it is the ignitor. The part # XXXXX

PS1573892: Flat Style Oven Igniter Kit

It is an easy repair. Unplug the unit and remove the oven floor. Remove the flame spreader on the oven burner. Two screws mount the ignitor to the burner. There may be a plate to remove to access the plug. It will take you ten minutes.

Click here to order parts

Use the part number I gave you before and check your locale parts store if you would like to repair it faster.

Thank you...

Sorry, the reason is the ignitor will wear out with time. 3-7 years under average use. They will glow but do not consume enough power to open the valve.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I replaced the ignitor 1 year ago per your advice, the oven seemed to work ok for a short time, and now it doesn't reach the temperature it has been set for. I have tried to calibrate it through the keypad but that only helped a slight amount any ideas?