Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE Profile Harmony washing machine. I found 4 issues

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile Harmony washing machine. I found 4 issues listed on the help screens.

1) Problem with touch screen. (I do not think there is an issue here)

2) The Motor is not rotating Properly. ???????

3) The Inverter PCB has a history of not running properly. ??????

4) Serial communication link between main PCB and inverter PCB is down. ??????

Is there a common link (the Inverter PCB)? Do all have to be replaced? Is it worth fixing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
The tub assembly is supported by three spring loaded struts. It sounds like something has gone wrong with one or more of them. They look a little like auto shock absorbers. Try removing the rear cover panel, so you can see the struts. After inspecting them, please post back what you find.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the tub is actually supported by 4 spring loaded struts. they are all attached and appear to be working. I watched the tub as it started to run through a spin cycle. When the tub contained water (from a rinse) it seemed to spin fine, when the water was drained it did spin a little off balance but it didn't seem tooo out of balance, it could still wobble even more.

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
If tub worked adequately without a load, I think the problem must have been an unbalanced clothes load. Often, you can rearrange the load, and still not get it balanced just right. If the tub moves about too much, the control board will sense the movement, and shut the washer off to prevent damage to the drive assembly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You are not reading my original question. I stated that the drum goes out of balance even when empty. When I was using the self diagnosis screens on the washing machine it showed 4 problems. See original post.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
to be honest these machine are trouble from the start, the motor and inverter assembly's go bad all the time. you will end up replacing more parts than the machine itself is worth, I would replace this machine, the best machine out there today is the whirlpool top load direct drive washer, these have very few problems and when something does go wrong its usually very inexpensive to repair, also the simpler the better , dont get all the bells and whistles, you really dont use most of those anyway, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
that may be good advice but I am still trying to save this washer. I followed the service manual and checked the inverter board. I got the correct voltages on the various pins. I checked the resistance between windings on the motor and got the 8 ohms on all three as called for. I am checking the Hall sensor now.