Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I want to use an existing 3 prong dryer plug as a power source

I want to use an existing 3 prong dryer plug as a power source for a new 4 prong plug in a different roon. The new plug is roughed in and supplied w/ 10/3 wire. How do I connect the new 10/3 to the old 3 prong box still leaving the old box usable? I am not an electrician but I can follow your concise directions. Thanks !!
[email protected]
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well its not a good idia to run a line off of an exsiting plug and use the two of them. what is it you are trying to do ? run two appliances at the same time? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan' I don't want to use both plugs at the same time I just want to simplify powering up the new 4 prong plug. The existing plug will NOT be utilized any more. I want to leave it though and just utilize it for power. If we remodel further later I might need the old plug again.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well on the new plug you have black red white and ground correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok do you have the cover off the old recepticle? please make sure the power is off to it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
actually i won't be back there until tomorrow morning. I was hoping to arrive armed with the info I need to wrap this phase up!! I will most certainly disconnect power entirely before starting.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well the two outside wires on the recepticle (not sure which color probably white and black) on the three wire setup are your power 120v each. the center one is your ground, you will see what I'm talking about when you get the cover off, anyway the green and white on the new cord will go in the center on ground and the red and black will go on the outside ones, one on each side, it doesnt matter which side you put them on. this will givge you the right power for the four prong plug, if you run into trouble come back, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So the ground AND white wire both connect to the ground lug on the old plug ? Right? Thank you so much Bryan. This is the first time I've used this site and you have helped exceed my hopes. You are very kind and I wish you a very busy and prosperous year. Thank You again

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
your very welcome Ray, happy holidays and thanks, Bryan