Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

My samsung refridge is blinking an error code after a short

My samsung refridge is blinking an error code after a short power shortage yesterday. Our model number is XXXXX Can anyone help me fix it or do I have to call a repairman? Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 4 years ago.
Hello this is a communication error code and a sensor error they happen at the same time when one side is not cooling or cooling as well as it should.. Try to unplug the unit for 5 min if that will not reset the unit the control board on the back of the by the compressor will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I unplugged it and now the left side is blinking 86/88 and the right side is not blinking but has 88. This fridge is only a little over a year old, could we really have a bad compressor?
No its not a compressor issue this is a communication error you cleared the sensor error. You need to replace the control board down by the compressor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is that something that I have to call a technician for? Is that an expensive part to fix? Also, is it normal for a fridge so new to have this issue as this was an expensive fridge to begin with.
if you are handy you can do it. Pull the unit out remove the back panel several screws then two hold the board to the back once out you swap a couple wires over its a straight forward job. Yes its not cheap about 300 for the job. Not normal but i have seen it several times.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm actually a military spouse and my husband is deployed. Can this wait for a while to fix until he gets home or do I need to break down and call the repairman? Thanks for your help and answers!
Well the unit will not get cold if it does not get fixed asap. Yes your welcome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has stayed cold both in the fridge and freezer since the power outage a few days ago.
Yes it could go out at any moment though its a communication error code means the board is not talking to the system it could fail any time you can run with it but the board is bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the board a part that we can buy at Lowe's (where we bought the fridge)? If that doesn't fix the problem, could it be anything else?
No you have to get it at a appliance parts house not a hardware store. It will fix the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the part $300 or is that about how much it would cost for a technician to do it. How much is the part at the store? Thanks.
Thats how much it will cost if a tech comes out around that. The part is about 160 dollars.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks for your help and I will see what I can do with the hubby gone...hate to get ripped off but can't be without a fridge w/ 3 kiddos too!
Yes i would call a factory authorized co if the part has a warranty they will be able to replace the board for free besides trip and labor. You can just use it till it stops cooling if you want doing so will not make hurt anything.
Experience: Factory Trained CFC Technician