Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Jenn Air convection oven Model W30400B about 12 years

I have a Jenn Air convection oven Model W30400B about 12 years old. Came home from a trip and found the clock was not working. Tried to reset the clock and found the clock and oven controls would not respond to keypad entries. However, the keys for turning the oven light would work. Suspect lightning is the root cause as also had a TV fail while gone. Opened the controls section to remove the electronic keyboard and display. When I did this, I found two wiring harness interconnections. One had 4 brown wires and was plugged into a relay panel. The second had 8 purple wires and was unplugged. I don't know if it was always unplugged, or if the process of taking the panel off dislodged the purple harness (this seems pretty unlikely to me as these plugs are usually very secure and typically need to be pried apart). As soon as I removed the panel, the alarm started sounding (this would be an argument that I did indeed dislodge the purple wiring harness). There does seem to be two places on the relay panel where the purple harness plug could plug in, but I am cautious to just plug in. What should I do with the purple harness and how do I know where it should plug in?

Having a dinner party on Thursday (4 days hence) and need the oven to work. Want to know whether to replace just the control panel or the relay panel or both. Total cost for both would be about $400 according to What would you suggest? Where should I go to get the best replacement cost?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well if your looking for a better price on the parts heres some alternatives, about $304 for both , $310for both, or sears has the clock (rebiult) for $120, direct/showPart.pd?partNumber=71001799&productGroupId=0022&supplierId=464&brandId=1266&documentId=M0403189&keySuffixId=NA&modelNumber=W30400B&keyId=0003&pageId=00001&productTypeId=0125300&searchModelNumber=W30400B&subCompDesc=Control%20panel&brandDesc=JENN-AIR&modelDesc=ELECTRIC-WALL-OVEN&blt=11 my guess on this would be the clock is bad, as far as where to plug the puple plug in there should be only one it will fit correctly,hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have now studied this more carefully. The operator control panel is composed of a key entry section and a separate electronic board which includes the clock. You seem to think just the clock/electronics has failed and not the relay panel. Are there any tests I can make to determine or just order parts and see what works?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well you can check for power to the clock assembly, if theres 120 volts going to the clock the clock is bad.