Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I just installed a new whirlpool 24 wall oven but it is not

Customer Question

I just installed a new whirlpool 24" wall oven but it is not turning on. Model: RBS245PRS

As the old oven had a 220v outlet/plug setup I used this once again instead of the confluence(?) box. The outlet has a 3 wire, #6 aluminum wire set up. As normal, the oven has 4 wires. I installed the plug onto the wires from the oven with the bare and white wires going to the neutral/ground post of the plug and the red and black wires to their corresponding posts. (can black and red be reversed?)

After turning the breaker back on, the oven does not turn on. There is power to the outlet, verified to have the correct voltage. The neutral/ground of the plug has continuity to the oven enclosure. What can I check next? I am desperate to get this oven going for a big thanksgiving dinner in less than 2 weeks! Plz help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
black and red can be reversed it doesnt matter. does the clock light up? it sounds like one of your line in (red or black) is not getting power. do you have a volt meter ? Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no power to the clock. The outlet has power. The voltage between the black and red of the outlet reads 240v. So I assume that both red and black wires to the outlet have power. Only thing I can think of is something in the plug. Though I triple checked that the wires are secure to the posts.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok if your getting 240v between the red and black thats fine, you have the red and black wires are connected to the two outer posts on the oven correct? check the outle itself and do the test one at a time . unplug the oven and check red and ground then black and ground , you should get 120v out of each one, if you do there is something wrong at the oven,or you cord is bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I shows almost 120v on each. Sounds like I may have defective oven....?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thats what it sounds like, you are very knowledgeable and I believe you have it wired correctly so that seems to be the only answer. this would not be the first time I've seen an appliance come through defective. bring it back and get another one, I know this is a pain but thats what you need to do, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pain about taking it back is that they will need to order another. No one stocks 24" ovens around here. Hopefully I will be able to get something going for my big thanksgiving dinner thats coming quick. thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I wish you the best of luck, hope they can get one in time. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just installed the replacement oven of the same make and model of the first oven. This one is not working either. I'm stumped.

With the oven unplugged from the 220v outlet, there is 220v between the black and red house wires and 110v between black/ground and red/ground. If I plug in the oven with back cover off of the plug, the black/white goes to nearly nothing 2.4v and between red and black is 110v and red/white is 110v. So with these results I got a wild hair of desparation to get this oven working and opened up the top of the oven. Inside the oven, the incoming wires from the outlet go to a "distribution"(?) circuit board mounted on the top of the oven. I get the same results as the back of the plug. Then, I disconnected the black wire from this board and checked voltage between red post and black wire(off the post on the circuit board). I got 220v. So it seems I am getting 220v to this circuit board inside the oven only with the black wire off the post.

Why is the voltage dropping to near nothing on this circuit board? This is the second new oven and still no enchilada. Many thanks for any help you can give me. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this has to be an eletrical problem, i think you missing 110 volts on the black wire. you should get 100 volts between black and white, at the plug with the oven disconected do you have fuses or breakers in your home? if you have fuses one is gone. let me know thanks Bryan