Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool Imperiel Series Refrigerator. Only about

I have a Whirlpool Imperiel Series Refrigerator. Only about 5 yrs old. Worked fine until Hurricane Ike & electricity was off for about 3 weeks. Ever since then, I get water collecting in the refrigerator section and sometimes this water freezes or my food freezes. Cannot locate my manual, nor any drain plug inside the refrigerator. There is a drip pan, but wont come out. Seems to be perminently attached. What can I do to stop water and freezing in the refrigerator section. The freezer is working fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok the drain is located in the freezer behind the back panel. you will need to remove the back panel in the freezer to get to it, the drain hole will be located under the coils when you get the panel off. this is probably covered with ice , take a hair dryer or hot water and defrost it until it runs down the hole freely, the ice is probably holding the damper open also, this will account for the freezing in the refrigerator make sure you defrost real good all the ice,. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Bryan. Can you explain how to take off the panel? Is it just the middle section of the back wall that comes off? Does it pop off? There are two funny looking screws on either side of the middle part. Do I unscrew those? Thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you will need to unscrew the screws yes. #14 on this diagram, this also shows the other parts that will need to come out , hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey Bryan, while waiting for your answer, I got part #23 to pop off. Is this good enough exposure to use my hair dryer on. You were so right, that thing in the middle that I removed, was sealed with hard ice. I'm excited to be getting somewhere, since it's been over 14 months since this thing has worked correctly.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well you can try without going furter but there is probably a thick layer of ice behind the panel and if you dont get it all it wont work, if you have another place to put your food you can unplug this for about 24-36 hours and leave the doors open and it will defrost if your affraid to go further, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan! You are so awesome! So is this site. I'm gonna be coming back for other things in the future. Like so many others, I'm trying to save funds by doing stuff myself. I'm gonna continue to use the hair dryer very patiently, and watch for signs of water coming out of the bottom drain, as I dont have another place to store my food, and cant afford to replace it. Thank you so very much for your responses and how quickly you replied. I was so distrought, thinking I was going to have to buy a new refrigerator. Now this will be one less worry for me. If I could afford it, I'd pay you much more $$, considering what you are saving me. Ike sure hit us hard in the Houston area, and many of us are still recovering, 14 months later...........Take care, and again, Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX Thank You!!!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
your very welcome , well wishes and happy holidays, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.