Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

My GE Profile icemaker is not making ice. I have check all

My GE Profile icemaker is not making ice.
I have check all the 5 troubleshooting checks and they are all ok.
The freezer temp is set to D which is one away from the coldest, so I assume it's lower than 8F.

I have been looking at the water valve assembly at the back bottom of the unit. The water is flowing to the water dispenser in the freezer door. I have disconnected the tube for the ice maker and turned the ice maker on. No water flows out of that valve, so I believe either the ice maker unit is not sending an "open" signal to the valve or the valve is malfunctioning. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  RUSS replied 5 years ago.
The valve is a duplex valve and I think the coil (solenoid) is bad and you need o replace the valve. It is very seldom the ice maker is at fault. Give me the model number of the fridg, and I will give you the part number you need
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
TFH22PRSM WW
Expert:  RUSS replied 5 years ago.
Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= (Click to enlarge)
Grid is 1 inch square
Item #
1032629
Price
$39.50
In Stock?
Yes
Dual water inlet valve kit. *New, quick connections. Cut retaining nuts off of existing plastic water lines and gently push them into new valve. To remove, depress ring that the tube slides into.
Qty Add to Cart
This should get you going if you have a volt ohm meter you can check the solenoid for continunity as a double check....i do recommend you do that thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did a continuity check on the solenoid leads. It is the two leads behind the ice maker fill valve and I removed the molded plug wire. It measured 189 on a 400 scale with my digital meter. Is that a good indication that the solenoid is fried? Also, should I hear the ice maker still running through cycles with a fried fill valve solenoid?
Expert:  RUSS replied 5 years ago.
The ice maker will call for water and cycle without water, s to the ohm reading, I would check that reading against a known god one, I do not have the information you requested , however I will ask my friend larry to check on this also. thanks
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 5 years ago.
reach in and get hold of the fingers that points toward the back and pull over and hold pressure on then till they start to move and once they do let it run thought its cycle and see if it will fill before it stops and let me know please
Expert:  RUSS replied 5 years ago.
thank you larry

Edited by RUSS on 11/15/2009 at 3:50 PM EST
no problem Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the dual-valve assembly. The water dispenser still works, but the icemaker is not making ice. I did put pressure on the maker's fingers and watched it slowly turn clockwise one revolution. Between 6 and 9 on the clock, i heard it call for water. Sounded like the new valve actuated but I did not see any water enter the ice maker. With the arm in the non-off position, will the ice maker continually cycle? What frequency?
the icemaker will turn and fill and then stop and about a hour later it will make its cycle again ,,, since it ran and you heard the valve kick in then melt out the fill tube at the rear of the icemaker where the water comes into the icemaker ,, it may be frozen from the valve not working right before you replaced the valve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will try that tonight. I did a continuity test on the new solenoid valve and found the same readings as the old solenoid valve. The water dispenser was 395ohm on a 400ohm scale and the ice maker fill was 160ohm on a 400ohm scale. Was the old solenoid not defective, could I have always had a fill tube ice block? Thanks.
it could have been a blocked fill tube ,, this does happen ,,,, you must be at work so by time you get home if the valve and im is working you should have ice and if not then melt out the fill tube
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If I accept your post, will I still be able to troubleshoot tonight if the thawing out doesn't work?

My oven stopped working this week, so I am having a bad appliance week. The new control module should arrive tomorrow.

you can always post back on this if it does not work out and i will be able to help you
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The dual water valve was not the issue. I started to troubleshoot the water line from the valve to the ice maker. Put the old water valve into service and it supplies water up the hose when called to. I have to pull on the maker's "teeth" in a clockwise motion to get it to rotate through the trays and then call for water. It finally filled the trays, but nothing happend overnight. So I pulled on the teeth and and it is now stuck in the 6 o'clock position, seems that it cannot get past the ice cubes.

So I have a $45 part and still does not work. What next?

Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
replace the icemaker if it does not run by itself