Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

Hi, The cardboard at the bottom in the back of my refrigerator

Customer Question

The cardboard at the bottom in the back of my refrigerator was falling off. I took it off only to find a filthy dirty mess of dirt, dust, and disgustingly dirty old insulation. I very carefully removed all of the old insulation, and vacuumed and cleaned up the inside as best i could. I went and bought some new insulation at a hardware store that the clerk said would work to replace what I had removed. My question is, what is the best way to put the new insulation back in? the old insulation seemed to have been glued or taped in on the back side, but the stuff i bought has no taped side. Should I cover the back with some double sided tape before replacing it? If not, is there any danger of starting a fire? And, since i have already removed the old insulation, and cannot get to a store until tomorrow, is it ok to leave the insulation out overnight and plug the refrigerator back in until I can get what i need?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
the insulation dont have to be on there, its only used as a sound barier but the cardboard will need to be on to direct the air flow to keep the compressor and coils cool ,, thanks Larry