Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

how do I clean out a clogged drain line in dishwasher model

how do I clean out a clogged drain line in dishwasher model number:
GSD3425F00bb, serial number: GA794707B. We have taken off the
bottom toe plate - all we see is alot of electric wires but can't
find a plastic tube that would drain the water out of the dishwasher.

many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX having a party and really need to use the
dishwasher.

Ann Hoyt
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi, when looking under the dishwasher you should see the pump with a tube sticking out.
Dishwasher Drain Hose General Electric WD24X10014
The end with the short rubber piece will have a metal clip holding it on. once you have located it remove it from the pump and pull it out to the front as far as you can. If you have a garden hose run it into the kitchen and plug it into the drain pipe and blast any dirt inside through with the water. If you cant find the tube you may be forced to pull the washer out from the counter. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mike:

more questions:

the tube sticking out of the pump: Do you mean "removing it: you neab just releasing it from the metal clip?

how do I plug (attach) the garden hose into the drain pipe? are they the same size?

when I blast the drain pipe where is the water going to go? inside the dishwasher

tub? how much water can it hold?

If we can't find the tube why would we pull the dishwasher out from under the

counter? Is the drain tube attached to the pump easier to access from the back?

Is there a cover on the back of the dishwasher? If so, how is it removed?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi, yes pull it out of the pump. making sure its the drain line.
The garden hose should fit into the hose and when you run it the water will go into the garbage disposal or sink where ever the waste runs to so you need not worry how much water you can run through.
If you can't find the drain hose by looking under the machine you may need to pull the dishwasher out and lay it on it's back so you can get easier access to the drain pipe.
Remember to look under the sink you will see the dishwasher drain attached to the garbage disposal this is where the water runs to and will help you distinguish what pipe you need to disconnect under the dishwasher. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How will we know when the drain pipe has been cleared?

If it doesn't clear will the water in the hose drain out on the floor?

Is there another way to clear the drain pipe without using the garden hose?

How do we reattached the drain pipe to the pump when the drain pipe is clear?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I am assuming your dish washer did not drain out so if you get it clear you will hear the water run into the sink/garbage disposal.
if you gradually increase the water pressure and make sure you have a tight seal on the hose you should not get wet :)
the other way is to disconnect the drain from the pump and the garbage disposal and pull it out, take into the garden and clear out with a hose. will be a tough job to get it back on after.
just reattach the clip the same way as you removed it after you cleared the blockage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How is the connection between the drain hose and the garden hose made?

Is this connections just like attaching two garden hoses together? There is a

male side and a female side? If not, what makes a "tight seal"?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The seal is made by jamming the hose into the drain pipe, you may have to rig it with one of those pointed hose tops. you won't need that much pressure to clear the blockage. If it makes you feel better have a bucket underneath to catch any leak. if you look at the picture i provided you will see what kind of connection the drain hose has.
If you are really worried about a tight seal i suggest you take the extra time to pull the dishwasher out from underneath the counter and lay it on its back, then disconnect the drain hose and take it outside and do it. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where could I possiblly fit a bucket to catch the water if the hose and drain

pipe leaked? How long is the drain tube? I really don't want to damage

the floor if the hose and drain pipe leak.

Is there some type of thin drain pipe router that could be put into the drain tube

to clear it out without using a hose and water? There should be something

like this available since this may be a common problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok I have done this many times in the 25 years i have been repairing appliances, the hose should have enough slack to be able to be pulled out from the underneath. In 25 years I jamb the garden hose into the drain pipe and run the water and clear the clog. If I feel I cant get the hose to make a decent seal on the drain pipe i pull the machine out from the counter lay it on its back and disconnect the drain from the washer and the garbage disposal and take it outside to clear the blockage. I suggest you pull the machine out from under the counter if you are worried about the floor getting wet. I'm not sure what else I can suggest here other then if you are not comfortable doing it give a service guy a call, they are insured and experienced at doing this. Mike
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.