Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

I have an Amana Top Load LWA50AW. First problem was the washer

Customer Question

I have an Amana Top Load LWA50AW. First problem was the washer would make a banging sound when it was in the spin cycle. I found the drive belt was badly worn along with the idler. I had removed the motor/pump assy. I had called a local repair in the meantime. When he got there I had the worn parts out and rady for replacement. He agreed the belt was the cause, so I just bought the parts from him and replace them myself. The belt was not a Goodyear brand. He said it was direct replacement. After replacing the parts. I put some water in the tub, and started the spin cycle. Now I have a different problem. When the spin cycle starts a rapid machine sound is made. ( I believe now that it is the helix not engaging). If I stop the spin cycle and turn it back on the spin cycle works properly, spins Ok. Is this belt causing this problem, looks like a rubber car V-belt.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 7 years ago.
Does the belt look like this?
Belt- spin

Part Number: AP4035118
made by WHIRLPOOL
Our Price: $18.10
Compare at: $23.21
You Save: $5.11
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
From your picture it is hard to see, but the orginal belt was GOODYEAR 37820.
The one on the machine how wide is it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I believe 1/2 " PN 27001007 made by FSP. This machinegun sound started only after I replaced the belt and idler. When the spin cycle starts is when the machinegun sound starts. If I push the stop at that moment and pull the start the spin cycle starts and spins complete, until the rinse cycle comes and the sound repeats.
The only thing that happens when it goes into spin is the motor reverses direction.I would check the idler pulley.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I replaced the idler pulley along with the belt. It is 2" in diameter same as orginal. If the belt is to small say by a 1/4" ( 30 1/4 vs 30 1/2 ) would this make the belt too tight not allowing the helix to engage the puley, or does the belt slip when the direction reverses and this is what engages the helix to the pulley. My guess is still I have the wrong belt.
Yes it would it sounds like it is the wrong belt.The belt does not slip it reverses direction and engages the spin on the tranny.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok I will try to find the Goodyear belt 37820. Should I replace the helix and the drive pulley?
I would change the belt first and see if that works.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK thanks
You are welcome.