Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

How do I change or clean the filter on my Thermador range hood

How do I change or clean the filter on my Thermador range hood model #36TS 157J? It seems to be self contained, not vented to the outside, is that right?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.
The model number you gave is not coming up, could you double-check?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The model # XXXXX XXXXX
It looks like 157J is the UL number.
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.
These are vented to the outside, there are no filters other than the covers on the hood itself.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, Dave. I will accept your answer even if you don't have anything more to suggest because what you said makes sense - I can't see any filtration system inside the range hood.
Probably the reason we don't get good ventilation is that the smoke can't reach the outside. That is what the building maintenance person told us, and he's been here 50 years (building constr 1929 and went condo c. 1974).
It looks like when the prior owner renovated and installed central AC ducts in our 1650 s.f. apartment they only ventilated the range hood into the AC ducts.
Do you have any suggestions what to do to achieve effective ventilation of the smoke without spending a fortune?
We live in Washington DC so there are various experts available.
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.
Without knowing how your building is constructed, that is difficult to answer. Sometimes I've seen the flap above the vents get blocked shut. Take off the filters and look above to make sure there are no visible obstructions.