Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

maytag washer #LAT4000AAW wont agitate or spin out

Customer Question

maytag washer #LAT4000AAW won't agitate or spin out
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
first thing you should check is the belts, do you hear the motor running? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i hear the timer motor
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

you only hear the timer but no motor correct? Part 1468you will need to replace this, its the lid switch, its located up in the control panel where the timer is, you can get this @ thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont hear the motor at all. all the belts, wires, etc. look ok.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
its the lid switch i showed you, most likely the fuse is blown on it but that indicates a bad switch, it needs replacing,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I push the switch in with a screw driver it makes the timer motor hum. nothing else happens. just making sure that's what it is and couldn't be anything else.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well usually its the switch and it has two swiches in this lid switch assembly. did you test the switches with a meter for continuity? did you test the fuse for continuity?
Washer lid switch assembly complete with fuse *Open fuse indicates bad lid switch assembly.
Part 1468

Edited by a1speedyappliance on 11/9/2009 at 8:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. I don't have a meter. I really don't know anything about repairing washers. I have my father looking at it and I'm telling him what you're saying. I will try replacing the switch. Thanks for your help. Joanna
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
no problem, 90% of the time on these machines its the switch, well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The part that I was told needed to be replaced was replaced today and the washer doesn't do anything differently than it did prior to replacing the part.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you replaced the switch and it still doesn't start? you need to check power to the motor, if its getting power when you pull the knob out then the motor may be bad,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The person who installed the switch just went to get something to check the motor with. The washer can't be more than 3 years old, 5 max.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok, when you push the new switch in it wont start but you hear the timer running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

started working after they giggled on the knob, but then the timer started throwing sparks and shocked the guy. I guess the timer needs replaced? the motor and everything attached to it is fine. belts are fine.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
wow, I hope he's alright, it sounds like the timer is shorted, the contacts inside the timer are probably bad, unplug the machine until you can get the timer, if you need to order it heres a link, thanks Bryan