Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi and thanks for your help in advance ] My name is Kevin

Hi and thanks for your help in advance =]
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm trying to troubleshoot my refrigerator issue.
I own a Kenmore model 596.72213200 (freezer on bottom), S/N P72213000S0 and it stopped cooling in the refrigerator but the freezer still cools.

I removed the front grille and back panel and vaccuumed out the "dust quilt" that had accumulated in fron abd back thinking that it might be overheating. The fan still comes on but I'm not sure if the compressor has been kicking on. The freezer wouldn't cool though if the compressor was fried, right? Anyway, what should I do next?

Kevin in Tacoma
Hi Kevin, this is Bryan, do you see any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? is the fan in the freezer running? check the back panel real good for frost. let me know thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The back panel inside the freezer seems a little frosty, yes. I don't hear a freezer fan.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I turned the temp dial to Coldest and heard a fan kick on.
ok thats your problem the fan has stopped, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this is the fan, of course it has a blade on it, you will need to take the back panel off and check the fan if you spin it by hand and it starts it needs to be replaced. here are some diagrams of your freezer section, let me know when you check it. thanks Bryan, I got your reply while I was writiing this so if the fan runs you most likely have a defrost problem, either way you need to rmove the back panel in the freezer, when you get it off if its full of frost you need to defrost it with a hair dryer and then put it back together, this will run correctly until you replace the defrost thermostat. (this is most likely the cause) do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So it's the fan that blows cooled air up into the frige?

Where is the defrost thermostat? What number should I look for in the corresponding diagram?

Do I need to access it through the freezer?

this is what your looking for , Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=its going to be on the top of the evaporator coils. #12 on the diagrams. if you have a meter you can check this for continiuty when its cold only. if it gets warm you cant test it. Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I removed the freezer door. Pulled the ice maker off the left side (witch isn't hooked up to a water supply). Can I just leavce the ice maker out when I put the freezer back together?

I removed the four bolt-head screws but the back panel won't budge. Is there a certain direction I should pull from? Top, Bottom, Left, Right? Does the grille (#1) need to come off first?

Is continuity measured using ohms (it's been a while since I last used the multimeter)? I'm trying to get to the thermostat before it warms up. Can I put it in my other freezer for a while then test it (if it warms up)?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got the panel off! Very frosty back there. Gunna let it thaw out. The fan is blowing cooled air up to the frige. ??? Maybe the duct was blocked? I'm guessing I need to replace the thermostat, right?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Heading off to church. Be back in a couple hours.

yes sorry went to bed early, ok I would say its the thermostat, you can order this @ for about $18.00, hope this helps, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sounds good, Bryan. I'll order the part today. BTW - Do you happen to have a promotional code for =] Doesn't hurt to ask.

One last question (I hope): I'll be using crimp connectors to reattach the new thermostat. Is there a specific solution that you recommend to "seal" the new connections to protect them from the moisture/ice in the freezer? I'll just order some that too.

you can use regular wire nut and just tape them good. as far as a promo code sorry i dont have one, please dont forget to press the accept button, this is the only way I get paid for helping you. thanks Bryan