Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Kenmore ColdSpot refrigerator has a strong chemical odor

My Kenmore ColdSpot refrigerator has a strong chemical odor coming from the freezer and the refrigerator. The refrigerator was manufactured in 2003.09 and the model no. is 106 72202202. I'm concerned that it may be leaking something that's toxic.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you remove the ice maker in this? if you think you can please remove it and smell it, allot of times the teflon on these picks up the stail water smell that smells chemical , is the refrigerator staying cold?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, both the refrigerator and the freezer are staying cold.

I'm not sure that I can remove the ice maker myself. Is that a relatively simple thing to do with the right instructions? Should I have a repair person come in to do that?

What if that doesn't resolve the chemical smell?

The ice maker does smell . . . would that also make the refrigerator compartment smell too?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well the other thing this could be is behind the freezer panel in the back of the freezer(inside) they used tie wraps in these to hold the wirring, sometimes these melt from the defrost heater,they can smell like burnt chemical smell also, this could also be the issue. if the unit is working correctly i doubt its a freon leak, I would call for service and see what they say. better to be safe than sorry, thanks Bryan