Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My older Maytag refrigerator is freezing everything in the

My older Maytag refrigerator is freezing everything in the refrigerator sections off and on, and the freezer looks like a snowstorm hit it. I'm trying to decide whether it would be cost-effective to repair or just replace this appliance. Can you tell me what the problem might be?
first off you probably have a bad door gasket or if this has ice and water in the door the flap may be stuck open. frost on the food in the freezer is caused by moist air getting into the refrigerator and freezer, this can also account for freezing food in the refrigerator because the warm air getting in makes this run all the time and will freeze things in the fresh food section. check these things, and if you cant find anything you probably need a cold control. thanks Bryan