Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have an old 1974 or so Tappan over - the number is 76-4932

Customer Question

We have an old 1974 or so Tappan over - the number is XXXXX 66/07291-83422377. The oven door on the right hand side would not open so we had to use screws to get the oven door off. I had been opening and closing the door with no problems while cooking dinner and then all of a sudden the right hand side of the door would not open. The left hand side would, but it was not enough to get our chicken dinner out. What would cause the door to latch closed on only the right side? We tried locking and then unlocking the "cleaning oven" latch thinking it got stuck somehow (even though I never used it). We have the oven door off and I have cleaned the oven and have gotten it already for cooking again - but we need to put the oven door back on and find out why the right latch is "caught" so the door stays closed.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

is this what your talking about getting stuck? Part 310 Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I can't tell because from the outside I can only see the metal part go into the "side" of the oven but it is caught - so I can't see if that is what it looks like on the inside.

We took off the oven door and so what you see are long vertical metal parts on each side of the oven opening. They are permantely attached. They have a bar half way down that is horizontal that then goes into the side of the oven. It must have a latch or something on the inner inside part of this horizontal bar - but what it looks like we can't see.

The long bar part is where the metal attaches to the oven door, when you open the oven door the horizontal bar that goes inside the "side" of the oven is suppose to come forward and allow the door to open down. This horizontal bar like said above must have a latch so you can open the door and leave it down in the open position, but for some reason this is now what is caught and won't let the door come open.

Now the bar is stuck and so the door doesn't open. I tried to pull on the bars (now that no door is on) to see if I can get the latches on either side to come forward, and it doesn't move.

How we got the door off was to lift up the door and get the door off of the long vertal bars.

Hope that helps.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
heres the problem , I can find some parts for this but cant get the diagrams so I cant tell what you need, I'm guessing but you probably need to replace the hinges. they eather sprung or broke, all i can do is roward this site to you , I believe you will need to call someone for service on this. sorry, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your help. It looks like the hinge is broken. One of the parts is bent and so the "wheel" that is to help the hinge over the "bump" that allows the door to open fully doesn't work properly. But after looking at your parts reference looks like we can get a new hinge for $35. or so. I think we will have to call someone though to replace it because now sure how to open the side panels of the oven to get to the spring part to attach the new hinge. Oven is set into cabinets so most likely needs to be pulled out.

Anyway, thanks for your help as we at least now know how to proceed.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
your very welcome, well wishes and thanks Bryan