Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore Refridgerator with a Bottom door freezer.

I have a Kenmore Refridgerator with a Bottom door freezer. Model #596.75934404

Within a few weeks of purchase it was making a very high pitch ultrasonic humming noise from time to time.

Then just last week, right about at the 90 day mark, it started emitting a very foul obnoxious smell from the back exhaust fan that appeared to be over heated and I was afraid it would catch fire. The smell lasted for about 3 days. Now the smell is gone, but I don't trust the appliance, and I could not get the tech support out here in time. What can I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
was this noise comming from the inside of the freezer or outside in the back?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Outside from the back.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok its probably a bad condensor fan. take the cover of the back bottom and see if its spinning. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this has a fan blade on it of course, this can stop of slow down and make funny noises like whinning. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry my reply took so long.......in the process of checking things, and yes the fan is spinning, a service rep showed up. He claims since it is not making the smell now, there is nothing he can do. (I feel like I have no recourse on this matter) And am just stuck again until it happens and play the wait game again and hope someone shows up (with in a day or two) instead or 4 to check it out while its producing the offensive smell.
The fan unit is all incasing so they are reluctant to replace it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
that typical, they always try to put the blame off on something or someone else, did you buy this @ Sears? did A&E come and tell you that.? boy I wish I could tell you what to do, is this under warranty? Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Again....sorry for the delay. This last problem happened, the foul smell episode last Friday, on my 90th day with the appliance. And yes I bought it at sears!!!! First and last time!! And yes it was A&E. I just ran to the Sears store where I purchased it from, because there is no way I'm keeping this when I cannot trust it any more.

Unfortunately, when they checked with Corporate Sears, they were told because they did not show up at my home till after my 90 days (even though I had called it in on the 90th day) they could not refund my money, only exchange it. GREAT, BUT I STILL HAVE THE SAME LOUSY SERVICE (I'M THINKING)

However, God must of had the last word, because as they start to do the paperwork via the computer, the computer offers me a Bank Check, and would I be interested in that? Heck Yes!!!

So they are coming out to pick up the old one, and after that in 7-12 days I should be issued a Bank Check. I made sure it was completly authorized and no hitches for the check to be issued. They said it is a done deal, and should have no problems receiving the check. I hope so because I have to purchase another Fridge to replace this one, from our old "wonderful independent appliance store" that has always had wonderful service techs! Things are extremely tight and I thought I'd save a few bucks!!! Never, ever again!
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
thats great news, well wishes , and thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.