applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service
Experience:  Ten Years experience. Certified in most major brands Including Whirlpool Frigidaire maytag Amana.

We have a Maytag Gemini Double oven (electric). The top ovens

Customer Question

We have a Maytag Gemini Double oven (electric). The top oven's lower cooking element does not heat. There are no issues with the upper heating element and the lower oven haes no problems. The oven is 7 1/2 years old and out of warranty. Is this something that can be fixed (replaced) by a do-it-yourselfer or does this require an experienced technician? What kind of costs can be expected either way?

Thank you-
Gary
Category: Appliance
Expert:  applianceguy replied 4 years ago.
Hi, what is the model # ? Do you have a volt ohm meter ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will have to get back to you on that, I am at work and did not bring that information with me.... I know, what was I thinking!? Is there a way I can get back to you?
Yes, just reply back to this post when you have the information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Maytag Gemini Electric - 30" in free standing range

Model # XXXXX

Serial # XXXXX

I can get access to a volt ohm meter.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I have a volt/ohm meter as I stated earlier. I am not at the appliance right now.

Unplug unit and remove the big back panel. Put the oven in bake mode and check voltage at the bottom element connections, you should have 220VAC. If you have voltage replace the element. If no voltage replace the clock/control board. The element comes out the front of stove by removing two screws and pulling element out. The clock/control can be replaced through the upper back panel. Both are easy to replace. The bake element part # XXXXX XXXXX and cost around $42.00. The clock/control part # XXXXX XXXXX and cost around $300.00.

applianceguy, Customer Service
Experience: Ten Years experience. Certified in most major brands Including Whirlpool Frigidaire maytag Amana.
Correction on the part # XXXXX the element. Part # XXXXX XXXXX and cost is still around $40.00.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just to verify, shoulld I plug the unit back in after the panel is removed and I am testing the voltage? I can not place the oven in bake mode if unplugged as it is digital.

If determined it is the element - do i simply remove the 2 screws on each side and pull it out and then push th enew one in? Are there any internal connections or wiring to be concerned with?

Yes you will have to plug the unit in to check for voltage. If the element is bad you have to unplug the wires on the element to replace. You will see the wire connections when you check voltage. Always unplug unit b/4 replacing any parts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help!!! I hope it is the $40 element vs. the $300 clock/control!!!
You are welcome. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I hope it is your element also.