Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

Side by side, 5 years old. Freezer lost temperature. Buzzing

Side by side, 5 years old. Freezer lost temperature. Buzzing sound every 2-3 minutes, 15 seconds in length.
It sounds like a relay problem. Is there any frost on the back wall of the freezer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. :(
What is your serial number?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You can try changing the relay/overload it's part number 12002784, if this doesn't work you may need a new fridge. I think it's worth a $45 part gamble.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't suppose there is anything that can be done tonight that will keep everything from spoiling? We have opened the refrigerator and freezer a few times, so it has lost cooling already. Certainly will try replacing the relay, but cannot do so tonight. We are looking to replace our second refrigerator. Can't believe we need two of them?!
You can get some dry ice and put it in the freezer, since the evap fan is running, it will circulate the air.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry to keep asking questions, and we will accept. Just don't know if I should do it at the end or over and over. My husband, Dave, is opening the back of the fridge to see where the relay is located.
The relay is on the left side of the compressor. If you take it off and shake it, it should not rattle. If it rattles the relay is bad, that doesn't mean you don't have a bad compressor, but it's hopeful.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I promise I'll accept but don't want to lose the chance to ask more. My husband says the buzzing sound is coming from the compressor which is really hot. OF course we just filled the fridge up with food from shopping this afternoon at 4:30 and then left for 5 hours.
Murphy's law, don't worry if you accept, I will still answer your questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relay (NSK85212?) doesn't rattle, so from the other messages it sounds like it's the compressor. I assume that is a major repair. Have not been overly impressed with this refrigerator, and it seems that 5 years is a short life span since the White Westinghouse we inherited from my parents that is about 25 years old lasted that long!
If the purchase date was over 5 years ago, then yes it is major. The part number is XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Compressor is still very hot! What refrigerators are you impressed with? Looks like we'll be investing in refrigeration!
I like Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid, but not GE, Samsung, LG or Frigidaire. Kenmore you never know what you are getting, but only Sears can do warranty work. Maytag, Jenn Air and Amana are now owned by Whirlpool.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Took out another relay type device, neither has the part number you mentioned. One was black and attached to the left wall and has two wires, the other is white and tan and was attached to the compressor with 4 wires. So we don't know which is the relay. Neither one really rattles. If you're in the same time zone we are, I'm sure you're tired too!
The black part is a capacitor, the white/tan part is the relay /overload. The part number I mentioned would not be the number on the part itself, just the part number to order.