Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

Our Bosch dishwasher will not drain at the end of the cycle.

Customer Question

Our Bosch dishwasher will not drain at the end of the cycle. If we try to run the drain feature by pushing the 2 buttons on the control panel they blink. The problem we have is intermittent, but seems to be getting worse. Occasionally we run the dishwasher and there is no water at the bottom, however most of the time there is at least 2 inches of clear water there. We have not had this problem before.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 4 years ago.
Hello the only thing that would cause a issue like this is the drain motor if it overheats and Bosch pumps do it will shut off and not put the water out. Sounds like you need to replace the pump to fix this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I find out if the pump is broken, and if the pump is replaced does that automatically repair the computer problem in the control panel with the blinking lights showing up?
If the unit does not drain it can give you issues with the control. You need to remove the bottom kick plate then you will see the pump its held in with a tab push the tab down and rotate the pump it will slide out.If the unit does not drain the pump is bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I find out what pump I need to order? I found some information on the side of the door but I cannot figure out whether it is a serial number or a reference to the make and model. Are we able to replace the pump ourselves or do we have to hire a Bosch repair person to put it in? My husband is a construction manager and has done a lot of repairs himself, so we should not be totally clueless if we remove the pump and need to replace it.
The model starts with SH???? Give me the model i will look the part up for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
SHU9915UC/U11 is on the side of the door.
Well depends on how handy you are its a pretty straight forward job. You can get the part click here
I see this question is still open do you have any more questions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am waiting for my husband to come home. He should be here in about 15 minutes. I wanted to show him all this in case he had a question. Sorry about the delay. If you can hang out for a little bit he will arrive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My husband doesn't see how the pump is bad, because the pump is pumping. He thinks there is something wrong with the controls or the "brains" of the dishwasher.
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Try disconnectig the drain line from the air-gap, disposal or wherever it's connected and run it into a bucket to flush out the system.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are able to drain the system by pushing the 2 buttons on the control panel. We have looked through the air gap and took apart the pieces at the bottom of the unit and everything is clear there. It seems that there is something wrong with the timing of the computer that runs the dishwasher. Is that something we can fix ourselves or do we need a Bosch repair person to come over and replace a chip, etc. It really seems to be an electronic issue that drives the system rather than a malfunction of any parts.
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
There is a control module that is one part, it controls everything. The most common problem is the heater relay burns a solder joint, as it is the only component that uses over 2 amps. The control module is not hard to replace.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My husband is going to go to work tomorrow and bring up the schematic on the panel for this model. Is there a part that you know of for this control module that we can buy? Can we repair this ourselves or do we need a Bosch guy over here to do it?
SHU9915UC/U11 is the model.
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
The part number is XXXXX if you remove the 6 screws holding the control panel to the door, it's just a straight parts swap. The connectors only fit in the correct spot.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a link to a source to purchase the part?
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
You can get it from this link, or you can call a local company. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=SHU9915UC-11 (FD 8002-8003)&productCategoryId=0130000&brandId=1794&modelName=DISHWASHER&diagramPageId=00001&componentDescription=FASCIA PANEL&documentId=P0301149&blt=06
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. Hopefully this part will work...$136.49 for it.
Thanks.
I clicked on the "accept" already. Let me know if this did not work. I don't want to get charged twice.
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
OK, your welcome.
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 34 years experience as a repair technician