Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

Inside the drum of our Maytag dryer, one of the wings (not

Customer Question

Inside the drum of our Maytag dryer, one of the "wings" (not sure what they are called) that toss the clothes came off. It appears it was once screwed to the started wobbling a week ago and then just fell off. I don't see any screws any where. It looks like it stretched the opening holes where it was attached but it could be fixed with a washer. How do youg get to the drum to re-attach the "wing?" Can't use the dryer without it because the hole has sharp edges that would snag clothes. Dryer is Maytag Model mde7600ayw Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.
The screws are inside the cabinet, if you remove the front with the 4 screws, 2 on the hinges and 2 opposite, the front will pull forward and off. Make sure to unplug dryer first though. Then there are 2 screws holding the top down, raise the top, rotate the drum by hand and re-insert the screws, and just for good measure tighten the other 2 vanes while it's open.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
100% right except 2 5/16 hex bolts to remove the top. Exactly as you describe except now I have to find what looks at first glance to be two more roughly 1/4 inch bolts that were holding the vane on and now are somewhere in the guts of the dryer, likely under the drum assembly. Any suggestions on where to look or how to find easier will be greatly appreciatedl. Besides that, your info was/is 100% correct.
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.
Look towards the outside edges, thats usually where I find them. They are 5/16 sheet metal screws that hold the top down, and plastic threaded screws for the vanes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much!
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.
Your Welcome.