Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a gas Maytag range model #MGR5765QDW. When the oven

I have a gas Maytag range model #MGR5765QDW. When the oven first lights off it fills the oven compartment with a strong smell of gas.Once it has been lit and burning for some time, there is no longer an odor. It only occurs when it first lights. All connections to the range have been checked for a leak and none found. How dangerous is it and what are possible causes?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
your oven igniter is getting weak and needs to be replaced, Part 949510when these get weak the gas takes longer to light this is why you smell the gas when it lights. this is located under the bottom plate on the burner. you can get this @ its around $50.00 , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That makes perfect sense. Is there a good idea on how long it should take a burner to light-off after turning it on so I could judge just how slow it is to light off?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
this usually lights within 30-45 seconds some are a little longer but thats the norm. some light as fast as 15-20 seconds depends on the model i guess, if yours is taking allot longer this is the problem, we replace allot of these. thanks Bryan