Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE profile side by side refrigerator that is approx.

I have a GE profile side by side refrigerator that is approx. 3 yrs old. My ice maker thaws and runs in the freezer section making huge icycles and now the refrigerator seems to be warming up. What could be the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you get me the model #? also do you see any frost on the back panel in the freezer? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bryan, the model # XXXXX XXXXX WW. Yes, there is frost in the back of the freezer!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you have a defrost problem in this , you will need to remove the back panel and take a hair dryer and dfrost all the coils completely, then you will need to replace the defrost heater in this, i will get you that info shortly, in the meantime start defrosting this, when you get the back panel off let me know if there is allot of frost covering all the coils. heavy frost all the way through them. I'll be back shortly. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

this is the heater you need to replace, Defrost Heating Element part # XXXXX ,$35.90 - Click Image to CloseG.G. had to redisign these becuase of failer, there are now two heater tubes in the new one, this should take care of your problem, click here for a link to the part. thanks Bryan