Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

my kenmore 30 oven/microwave combo doesnt have any power.

Customer Question

my kenmore 30" oven/microwave combo doesn't have any power. It's 9 years old. The microwave was used daily but the oven was used once a week.
when using the oven and microwave at the same time after a period of time it would overheat and all power would shut off. then when it had cooled down we would be able to use them again. Now we can use at all.
I would like to fix myself but need assistance on what to look at and how to fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Have you turned the breaker off and back on? Of so I would suspect a burnt connection in the wall behind the oven. You would have to turn off the breaker and remove the oven to check though.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No = I will try turning the breaker off and back on

Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
OK, let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we have turned the breaker on and off and removed the oven. the oven is getting power
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
So the display is dead, and the oven is getting 240 Volts, with 120 volts from ground to red and black? The control runs off one hot lead and ground/nuetral.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes display is dead. No oven lights are working

when we pulled the over we checked the wiring behind the oven with a voltage dedector we checked all red wiring and they indicated power

also 1 black wire had power

Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Did you check for 120 volts from white wire to red or black?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I did
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
You'll need to open the control panel and verify 120 volts getting to the clock/ERC, there should be a plug with black white and green wires going to the control. Have you checked the fuse #562 on this link? http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?diagramPageId=00006&documentId=P0405079&modelNumber=91141485992&productCategoryId=0125400&brandId=0582&modelName=&blt=11
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we have now opened the control panel and verified the plug with black white and green wires are live. we found one fuse, can't see thru it, hot wired it with foil and nothing happened
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.

Then it sounds like a bad control, but you need to check continuity on the overheat fuses on the magnetron and cavity

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where do i find those fuses? i can't find that in the manuals
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
If you look at the scematic inside the control panel, you'll see them, and what wire they connect to. #463A on this link is one of them. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=91141485992&productCategoryId=0125400&brandId=0582&modelName=BUILT-IN-OVEN-W/MICROWAVE&diagramPageId=00006&componentDescription=MICROWAVE BODY&documentId=P0405079&blt=06
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i don't have any way to check continuity and i only see one fuse

Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Do you see the fuse on top of the magnetron?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is the magnetron part 579 from the schematic from the sears link you sent

If it is, is the fuse round and black with a white wire and another connection with a blue wire and a white wire connected

Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Yes that is it. If the magnetron were overheating, this fuse could shut it down for awhile, then it would work. When this was happening was the fan running in the micro?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the fan was running in the micro when it overheated and everything shut off
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.

Do you have any way of checking continuity of the fuses?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not tonight - i will see if a electrician on the job can loan me the correct tool.

If the continuity check fails is this the problem? can we communicate more tomorrow evening?

Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
I'll be on tomorrow evening, there is also a thermostat #463B on the diagram that needs to be checked.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks - i'll be in touch tomorrow evening
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
OK
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 34 years experience as a repair technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we were able to check continuity. We are okay on the fuse on top of magnetron and we are okay on part 463 and unable to locate part 463b.

Part 443 has no continuity.

Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
It's on top of the microwave.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey Dave - I am back and working on this again. I found what I belive to be 463b on the left side and it is ok. What next?

Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
You said 443 has no continuity, that would be a problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I order and replace part 443 will that fix the problem since all the other fuses are checking out okay?
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
It should, they are all inline with the L1 line.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will order the part tomorrow and replace

Thank you

Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
replaced part 443 and the unit still has no power
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dave I replaced part 443 and i still have no power. What part do I check next