Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

Hello, I have a GE Monogram Side by Side Stainless Free Standing

I have a GE Monogram Side by Side Stainless Free Standing Refridgerator model number ZFSB26D SS.
I have owned it for two years now. Every so often, our Freezer Temp shoots up to 9 to 10 degrees when it is set at 0. This causes all the ice to melt and run into the freezer. When this occurrs, the refridgerator also warms by about 10 degrees from what it is set at.
We have watched this happen with no consistant time frame. We've seen it happen once a month for a few months, and then not again for several months. After approx. 24 hours, it will begin cooling again and get back to where the temps were set to.
Thanks for any advice.

Amanda Booker
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
What is the full model number?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry, Where do I find that?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I found it: Model # XXXXX ss

Thanks,

Amanda

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

There is a thermistor on the evaporator, held on by clip #229 on the link. If this is faulty, the unit will stay in defrost mode too long. It will test good under normal operation, but will cause the freezer to get too warm. Part #WR55X10025 Here is the link http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?diagramPageId=00004&documentId=G6090834&modelNumber=ZFSB26DRHSS&productCategoryId=0165000&brandId=0432&modelName=&blt=11

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you! That makes sense.

I have an extended warranty, how best should I go about replacing this?

In the past, when I call in for help...a technician shows up and if his testing doesn't show a problem, he says there's not much we can do.

Amanda

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
It's an inexpensive part, you can suggest to the tech what you have got as an answer to your problem. Most techs will be cooperative, it's a solution I got from GE's tech trainer.