Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

just got a amana sideby side with water in door with ice maker

just got a amana sideby side with water in door with ice maker crushed and cube can not get icemaker to work hade to replace filter to get water to work need help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello, are you saying you are getting no ice or water?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no ice or water got drinking water
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
So the water in the door is working but no ice is going to the ice maker thus no ice?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not making ice dont think it is geting water to it filled it with cup of water still wont do anything

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok ice makers have 2 working parts, first is the ice maker and the second is the fill valve. The ice maker and water dispenser have separate valves so even though you may get drinking water the valve for the ice maker may still be bad. The way to check which part is bad is to place a shot glass on top of the ice maker before you go to bed. In the morning if you find the shot glass where you left it the ice maker will be bad. If you find the shot glass in the ice tray the next morning you have a bad inlet valve.
The inlet valve can be found at the rear of the appliance behind the lower panel. You should replace the part you find is faulty.
Another common problem can be frozen water in the fill tube which runs from the back of the appliance to the ice maker. Make sure to check there are no blockages in this tube. Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any additional questions for me? if not please don't forget to hit the ACCEPT Button. Thanks! Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will try shot glass tonight if icemaker is empty when should it fill or do the dump arms have to be in a ceirtan position
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
just make sure the metal arm is up, the ice maker fills as the motor turns the arm. the reason for the shot glass is to see if the ice maker is working. if the shot glass still on top of ice maker tomorrow the motor in the ice maker is bad. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the tag in freezer says put metal arm in down position to make ice you say put arm in up position which one is it

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
sorry you are correct put it down...had a brain freeze for a second :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

should it start filling as soon as i put the arm down

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No the motor will turn the arm around, when it gets to a certain position and the freezer is at the correct temp the water will dispense. Normally up to 8 hours. this is why we have the shot glass on top of the ice maker to see if the motor is turning. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for all the help i hope it works dont want to buy a new ice maker any idea what one cost
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
about $80. Mike your welcome
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks