william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

Good day, I have a GE Profile wall mounted cooker, and the

Good day,
I have a GE Profile wall mounted cooker, and the top electronic control panel seems to have a broken stud on the LHS so it will not hold against the cabinet. Is there someway of getting this repaired without having to replace the whole unit which works correctly?
Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
what is your model number please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
J T915SOK5SS - I think that is an "O" in the middle, not an "0"
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
are you saying that the oven pulls away from the wall?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no - the oven is ok. As I tried to state originally, it is the electronic control panel which is a separate unit above the oven which is loose at the LHS and cannot be tightened up against the cabinet as it appears the LH stud has been broken.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

im sorry that model number didnt come up right can you re do it please? thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
J T915SOK5SS - I think that is an "O" in the middle, not an "0".
That is what is says on the oven, but when I check on GE's website it seems the closest to it is JT915SK5SS, but that panel is slightly different, but looks much the same.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
and this is a double oven right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
your oven is all one piece
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry - what else can I say?
It is not a double oven, it is a single oven, and so I do not undestand what you mean by all one piece. I have already said that it is the separate top electronic control panel that is the problem and I have given you model numbers.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
from when i look at the installation manuel it shows that the oven is all one piece these do not come in 2 pieces and if they are in 2 pieces you have a major problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX are definitely 2 separate items just like the GE catalog shows many of them to be - the oven itself and the control panel above it. The oven is firmly attached but the panel hangs down at the LHS and does not pull up tight to the cabinet due to this broken stud - which is what I was trying to find out if the stud/attachment could be replaced or whether the whole panel needs replacing.
Sorry you can't help.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

im trying to visulize this and if your talking about a stud your gonna have to pull the oven out and do the repair from that way and it seems like the stud could be just toe nailed back in place then just slide your oven back in place then screw the oven back in place

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks William,
I don't think this will work as the oven is solid in place and it is just the top control panel that is loose. Unless you can tell me how to fix a broken stud (using glue like araldite?) (what is toe-nail) I may have to replace the whole control panel.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

your oven is only held in by 4 screws look on pages 10 and number 8 please look at the diagrams and are you talking about a 2x4 wood stud? go to the diagrams please?

http://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=31-10659.pdf

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, it looks like I will need someone to look at the unit as the oven is secure but the control panel is loose and dangles at the LHS. The installation instructions make no reference to how the top panel should be secured - or even if it needs to be - but mine is loose!
If you have no other ideas, then we have reached the end of this discussion, and thank you for trying to help.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

The installation instructions make no reference to how the top panel should be secured

answer: thats because its all one piece its not 2 seperate units you may think it is but its not its all one piece

If you have no other ideas. answer: you will need to pull the oven out from the wall its only held in by 4 screws and you can see that from the insallation guide 2 screws on the right side and 2 screws on the left side and unhook your electrical and the oven slides out until you get the oven out then you will be able to see whats going on and ill tell you again your contol panel and oven is all one unit

william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate