Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Refridgerator keeps tripping breaker. I thought it might have

Refridgerator keeps tripping breaker. I thought it might have to do with ice maker but I took that out and the problem continues. Sometimes runs 8 hours without a problem other times only a few seconds.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello, The problem here is going to be with the defrost system since you say sometimes runs for 8 hours. Basically when your appliance is entering the defrost cycle it is blowing the breaker because of a short in the system. You should remove the rear panel inside the freezer. Once you have the panel off you will see the evaporator (looks like a car radiator) below this you will see the defrost heater. clipped to the pipes at the top you will see the defrost thermostat. The wires for these 2 items run into a plastic plug at the top somewhere. check this plastic plug. some times ice will either push this plug apart slightly or get into it and short the wiring. Had this exact same service call the other day so it's fresh in mind :)
Here is what a typical defrost heater looks like:
graphic
And here is what a typical defrost thermostat looks like:
graphic
Just follow the wires to the harness (plastic plug)
It may also be that you have a short on the defrost heater so i would check it down to ground with a ohms meter if the above does not solve the problem. Hope this helps! Mike