MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

My Kitchen Aid Icemaker started to build frost/ice on the underside

My Kitchen Aid Icemaker started to build frost/ice on the underside of the icemaker as well as on the door portion/outlet spout of the icemaker - It begins to interfere with the door opening and closing as well as the discharge of ice - It started several weeks ago - I have defrosted the unit several times but the ice comes back - HELP!!! -
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 6 years ago.
Take a flash light and open the freezer door. Hold the light inside and point it down the ice chute. Look for light coming through from the out side. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If you are referring to the ice chute on the door - I can see through it clearly. However the general area on the door side of teh icemaker is fairly well iced over - The hole is still available for ice to pass through however it is blocked modestly by the forsting/icing over that is occurring -
Can you see if the door on the dispenser is closing completely?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does it have a door on the underside of the ice bucket piece or are you referring to the door that is on the actual freezer door -
The door on the dispenser. It goes through the freezer door.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes - You are on to something - When I open and close it I can see a sliver of light - If I physically push the door it closes the seals and I can not see light - I removed the piece of plastic that is on the outside that seems to guide the ice and without the piece installed it is closing properly - I will defrost the ice maker and replace it without the plastic piece on to ensure this is the remedy - Then I will simply have to re-install the plastic piece properly so that it does not interfere or hamper the seal on the door

Make sure there is no broken parts on the lever or that the lever did not pop out of the pivot point on the right hand side. The picture below will help you withh the assembly of the unit. Thank you....