MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
24031813

I have an older Gaggenau VR 322-612 BBQ Grill (15 ) which works

Customer Question

I have an older Gaggenau VR 322-612 BBQ Grill (15") which works great. This model was replaced by the current VR 421-611.

We've just remodeled our kitchen and want to re-install our VR 322 grill, but cant find the manual/directions.

All I need to know is if there is a specific clearance required between the grill section which is installed in the countertop and the control panel w/ knobs that is installed under the grill, with the knobs facing out the front of the cabinets.

Can the control unit be directly under the grill? if not, what kind of space do I need to allow between the 2 parts.

In our "old kitchen" the knobs were installed coming out the countertop, so this wasn't an issue.

Thanks, Stephanie
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 5 years ago.
I could not find the manual either. You should be able to go to about 6" maybe more depending on the slide linkage. If you can put the unit on the floor and mock up the knobs, linkage and the module. If yours are the cut off kind you may have to replace the linkage and you will be able to mount the and trim the linkage to fit.
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't think you understood the question. I need to verify with someone who either has a manual or experience with this unit. Have you ever worked on a Gaggenau Vario grill? It will be difficult to explain the issue if you are not familiar.

Basically, the unit comes in 2 pieces, the 15" grill itself, and a separate 6.25" (wide) x 5.75" (deep) x 3" (high) box on which the knobs are mounted. The box goes under the grill, behind a cabinet. Knob holes are drilled in cabinetry that the knobs stick out the front of the cabinet, a few inches below the countertop on which the grill is installed.

It is the same basic design as the current Gaggenau 400 Vario series.

The grill section is ready to be installed in the top of a custom island cabinet. I just need to cut the bulkhead and get the counter-top. The underside of the grill will extend about 1.5 into the space below, under the countertop/bulkhead. No problem there.

What I need to know is: How far below the grill's bottom surface can the control unit be installed. In pictures, it looks like the unit can be directly beneath, even touching, but I want to confirm this. I don't want the heat of he grill to melt anything in the control box. This may or may not be an issue.

I would like the knobs to be as high as possible on the cabinet-front. In a perfect world, the control could be within a .5" of the bottom of the grill, which would allow me to make minimal modifications to my cabinetry to remedy the mistake.

Again, I know this would be OK in the 400 series grill (VR 421-611), which is very similar. I THINK it is OK, but want to KNOW before I drill holes in my expensive new cabinets.

If this isn't a question you can answer, is there a way to pass the question along to someone who may have worked with this Gaggenau grill?

Stephanie

It says that the installation is not yet available. Call this number and see it they can email you a "pdf file" of the manual. I would give the half inch clearance. Sorry, Gag als-o has a unit that just the knobs mount to the cabinet and the expandable shafts and the -switches are in the module.

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I am very familiar with all the info on the Gaggenau site. I could get that on my own without $18.

The issue is that the unit is old so the manual isn't available for download.

I don't mean to be cranky, but I asked a question here in hopes that someone would answer that had WORKED with this unit or had access to an older Gaggenau manual.

The manual is archived on servicetech.com, but I can't register to access it since I am not a professional. Are you a member? Here is a link:

http://www.servicetechhelp.com/index.php/articles/8107

It was archived on 25 May, 2006 as:

Gaggenau BBQ Grill, VR 322-612, Operating & Install Manual

Thanks.
Not on that site. I am a Bosch servicer and I could not get it to pull up on my site. Give me untill tomorrow and I will see if I can make a call to the factory.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you. I appreciate it.
Talk with you soon..
They are going to email me the book and I will forward it to you I hope to have it soon.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I got it from them this morning. Thanks.

Stephanie

Sorry, I am still waiting for the email. They were unable to find it either and were going to mail it when they found it. Look me up if you need anything else. Use this post. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They found it quickly for me and I got it a few minutes later. Thanks.
thank you