Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Refrigerator runs continuiosly. Evaporator coil was iced up

Freezer started warming up and temp went up above 32. Took cover off evaporator coil and it was iced up bad. Thawed it out and 12 hours later refrigerator still running and freezer now too cold. -10 and still running. Won't shut off. There was a clip-on thermal switch on the evaporator coil I knocked off when thawing it out. I "think" I have it clipped back on in the right place.

It must be a thermal switch someplace not working correctly?
it sounds like your thermostat itself isn't working in your refrigerator. If the compressor is always running trying to cool down the refrigerator it will over frost. That clip on device is your defrost thermostat---it tells the defroster when to turn off if the frost is defrosted earlier then the 30 minutes that the timer gives it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay on the defrost thermal. Looks like I need to replace the refrig themostat then because the compressor just keeps running and it is sure cold enough in the freezer. I'll try to figureout how to replace the thermostat. Thank you!
no problem and best of luck to you.