MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
24031813

Bought a used Whirlpool Duet Dryer yesterday. Was working yesterday,

Customer Question

Bought a used Whirlpool Duet Dryer yesterday. Was working yesterday, now it won't turn on. Checked all power sources, checked out good. Still won't turn on
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 7 years ago.
Do you have the model #? It will be located inside the door. Did your old dryer take a long time to dry? How many loads have you done in the new one?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I found a number of(NNN) NNN-NNNNE/F I hope that is what you are looking for. Our old dryer's heating unit broke. We have only been able to run one load of clothes in the new dryer. The second load quit after just a few minutes and we haven't been able to get it started again. Now it won't even turn on.

It is not the model #. It sounds like the vent is blocked. This would have been the reson the element went out in the other one also. This will cause the thermo fuse to go bad on the duet.

Parts click here

Repair manual

Unplug the unit and remove the lint filter. Remove the 3-srcews that secure the bottom of the lower front panel. Remove the 2-screws on the lint filter holder and look for a white bullet shaped peice on the exit vent. You can take that to a local parts store to have them test it. Be sure to find out what is causing the vent blockage before running it again. Thank you....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not sure if its a blocked vent. We cleaned out the vent when we removed the old dryer. One of the heating coils in the old dryer broke into two pieces.
How much of the vent is in the walls? Did the vent tube from the dryer get pinched when it was set in to place? Did your old unit take a longer than normal time to dry?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The vent is about 30 feet long. We can get to it in our basement. We checked to make sure it wasn't pinched when we put the new one in place. The old dryer did take longer to dry.

It will be a blocked vent. Check you phone book to see if someone cleans just dryer vents. There is likely a lint build up in the tubing. Your parts store may have a home vent cleaning kit but I think they only go to 20'. It the vent is party blocked it will cause the long dry times and shorten the life of the element. On the new unit the fuse protects this from happening by blowing the fuse.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will check around. Thank you for your help.
Let me know how it turns out. Thank you again...